- Bring your own utensils to work instead of using plastic ones.
- Use a refillable water bottle.
- Bring reusable bags to the grocery shopping.
- Buy things with less packaging and preferably no plastic.
- Compost your food scraps.
- Educate yourself about things like, The Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
Today, I reused bacon grease to create bird suet. Here’s how:
Easy 2 ingredient Bird Suet Cake
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 1 cup bird seed
Pour bird seed into a loaf pan. Cover with warmed grease. Mix, coating seed with grease. Pat down and place in the freezer until set.
When it has hardened, cut down the center and remove. Each half will fit perfectly into the standard size suet cake basket.
I have been given the opportunity to review a set of stainless steel containers from MiraBrands. (www.mirabrands.com). They are the parent company of Kassi, which specializes in eco products. They wanted an honest review of their product. In return they will giveaway a set to one of you! They are also selling them on Amazon.
I was given 2 snack sized 18/8 food grade stainless steel containers that I have used all week. They are BPA, phthalates, PVC and lead free. The covers are made of LDPE number 4 plastic, which is a recyclable plastic.
Ethan likes to have his snacks in them. The lids are well fitted and you can be sure they will not spill. This size would be great for carrots and dip or trail-mix. I would love to have a set of larger ones. I would definately replace any “tupperware” products with these. They are better for the environment and they are a breeze to clean.
There are two ways to enter this giveaway:
- Leave a comment on this post about reusing something that others might throw away.
- Like homemade and wholesome on facebook.
Giveaway ends on Earth Day at 6pm (ET).
The winner will be chosen using random.org.