Last week I made Lemon Ice Cream. A delicious yet overpowering flavor if eaten alone, but when coupled with a vegetable and fruit studded waffle, it is pure perfection.
Ice cream has become my hobby, there are so many flavors to discover.
For the ice cream:
- Start by placing 1 1/2 cups each of milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
- While the milk and cream are warming, whisk 4 egg yolks in a bowl with the zest of 2 lemons, 3/4 cup granulated sugar and a pinch of salt until it is pale yellow and velvety.
- Once the milk is hot, whisk a little of it at a time into the yolk mixture until the yolks are tempered.
- Pour the yolks into the saucepan with the milk mixture and cook until it reaches about 160-170 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Pour into a heat-proof bowl with the juice of 2 lemons and place into the refrigerator over night.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled bowl of your ice cream maker and churn according to your maker’s instructions.
- Place churned ice cream into a freezer-safe container and chill a couple hours or more until it reaches desired consistency.
The waffles begin with shredded zucchini.
Place the shredded zucchini into a colander and press down to remove as much moisture as possible.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, while melting 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat in a skillet.
Pour a cup of milk, an egg and the melted butter into the large bowl with the dry ingredients.
Fold the shredded zucchini and a handful of fresh blueberries into the batter.
Using a half cup measure, drop batter onto your preheated waffle iron and cook according to your machine’s instructions.
You’ll end up with a gorgeous purple and green studded waffle.
One scoop of bright lemon flavored frozen cream will add the precise amount of sweetness and tang.
Zucchini and Blueberry Waffles
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (could substitute gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup milk (could substitute almond milk)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (could substitute coconut oil)
- handful of fresh blueberries
Using a grater, shred a medium sized zucchini. Place zucchini in a colander and press out as much moisture as you can. Set aside.
Preheat a waffle iron.
Whisk flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add milk, egg and melted butter and mix until combined. Fold in zucchini and blueberries.
Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop batter up and pour onto preheated waffle iron and cook according to your iron’s instructions.
Place a scoop of lemon ice cream on top and enjoy!